FAQ document

Tony Rutkowski <amr@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> Sat, 08 May 1993 17:42 UTC

Date: Sat, 08 May 1993 13:34:20 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Tony Rutkowski <amr@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: FAQ document
To: Multiple recipients of list ISN-WG <ISN-WG%UNMVMA.BITNET@vm.usc.edu>

>     What is the Internet?
>
>> Recent documents point to a changed definition of the "Internet" as
>> a series of interconnected networks that have the ability to share
>> information in near realtime. I am not sure that the TCP/IP suite
>> is the sole designator anymore, particularly since the "Internet"
>> is now a multiprotocol environment.

Perhaps you might find the following characterization of the Internet
useful:

The Internet consists of more than 10,000 computer networks around the
world that are interconnected as a vast open information system.  The
networks are owned by countless commercial, research, governmental, and
educational organizations and individuals.  The Internet allows the more
than 1.5 million computers and 10 million users on this system easily
and quickly to collaborate through messaging, discussion groups, and conferencin
g,
to discover and access people and information, to distribute information, and
to experiment with new technologies and services.  It has become a major global
infrastructure for education, research, professional learning, public service,
and business and is currently growing at the rate of about ten percent per month
.

The Internet Society serves as the international organization for
Internet cooperation and coordination.