Re: Newly revised standards-track RFC

Bill Kelly <kellywh@mail.auburn.edu> Tue, 29 March 1994 22:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 15:42:45 -0600
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bill Kelly <kellywh@mail.auburn.edu>
Subject: Re: Newly revised standards-track RFC
To: Multiple recipients of list TN3270E <TN3270E@list.nih.gov>

Fred writes:

> Section 8 has a paragraph that starts:
> >    Note also that Telnet commands may appear anywhere in the Telnet
> >    stream.  For this reason,...
>
> This seems to conflict with the paragraph just added:
>
> >    The presence of Telnet commands within a TN3270E data message
> >    (i.e., between the header and the trailing IAC EOR) is not
> >    supported; neither clients nor servers should send such data.  If a
> >    TN3270E data message containing an IAC-command sequence (other than
> >    IAC IAC) is received, the receiver should discard the IAC-command
> >    sequence and continue processing the TN3270E data message.
> >    IAC-commands should be sent between TN3270E data messages, with no
> >    header and no trailing IAC EOR.
>
> I suggest we delete the first sentence and first phrase.  Start that
> paragraph with:
> >    If either side wishes to transmit the decimal value 255...

Yeah, this kind of bothered me, too...seems contradictory.  Perhaps in
addition to your suggestions, I should start the second paragraph like so:

  While Telnet commands by definition can appear anywhere in the Telnet
  stream, the presence of Telnet commands within a TN3270E data message...

Or does this only serve to muddle the picture?

Another thing I've been wondering about is whether or not our summarily
throwing away Telnet commands like this is going to ruffle feathers among
the "Telnet traditionalists" out there.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Kelly               phone: (205) 844-4512
Auburn University     Internet: kellywh@mail.auburn.edu