A Formalism for Internet Information References

"Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com> Fri, 15 April 1994 22:51 UTC

To: Liam Relihan <relihanl@ul.ie>, Phill Hallam-Baker <hallam@alws.cern.ch>
Subject: A Formalism for Internet Information References
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 15:45:02 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com>

Here's something that's been brewing in my mind for a couple years now.
It's still fairly rough, but it hangs together, and I'd like to see it
form a basis for disussing things like URNs and such:

A Formalism for Internet Information References

Daniel W. Connolly
$Id: formalism.txt,v 1.4 1994/04/15 20:30:56 connolly Exp $
http://www.hal.com/users/connolly/drafts/formalism.txt

ABSTRACT
========

This is a mathematical model for references between typical
information objects in the internet community; specifically, the model
covers the URL concept from the World Wide Web application and the
external body mechanism from MIME.

I suggest that this model be used to define the requirements for
specifications of new URL schemes and MIME access types, and that it
provides basis for other extensible reference mechanisms such as the
URN and URC mechanisms as variously proposed in the URI working group.

INTRODUCTION
============

We begin with definitions of some commonly used notions:

The set of octets, or bytes:

	Octet = { 0, 1, 2, ..., 255 }

Strings, sequences, or streams of bytes:

	Using the notation SEQ{S}, short for
		{ seq | for some N, seq : {0, 1, 2, ... N}  -> S }
	OctetStream = SEQ{Octet}

Then we formalize some of the MIME notions:

	ContentType = { text/plain, application/octet-stream, ... }
		/* just a finite set. Properties or the elements,
		aside from identity, are not defined */

	Entity = ContentType x OctetStream

And finally, we begin with a function to model the resolution of
references between entities in terms of an as-yet undefined set of