Re: AUP agenda item

William Manning <bmanning@is.rice.edu> Sat, 19 March 1994 22:20 UTC

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 1994 16:18:29 -0600
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: William Manning <bmanning@is.rice.edu>
Subject: Re: AUP agenda item
To: Multiple recipients of list ISN-WG <ISN-WG%UNMVMA.BITNET@arizvm1.ccit.arizona.edu>

Warning. Personal bias present.
Connie argues a point that has been raised in the past.  Is IETF the
right forum for a specific vertical segment?  It is not clear that
any specific IETF rfcs have been published for a specific user segment
except the recent document by Jennifer Sellers.  It can be argued that
this group has no bearing on the IETF primary function, which is
protocol standards development and general operational principles.

Documents that we produce (IETF) are not geared for the average teacher.
Their job is to teach/guide my children in effective learning techniques,
not the uderstanding of arcane protocols or network operations.

I think the docuements we produce should be targeted to the district/school
technical staff who will be building the networks and keeping them up.
It is then up to these staff to advise the administration on appropriate
policies/architectures that should be deployed so that the teachers can
do their jobs.  I do not expect a teacher to write a school or district
AUP or design a connection architecture in the absence of any input from
either a technology committee, staff or consultant who is paid to understand
the things we do.

Specifically in regards to the AUP draft, I appreciate the comments
made and a revised draft will be out on monday.  I reiterate that this
item is larger than the K12 community and perhaps should be discussed
in a different WG or perhaps tabled and the CoVIS AUP be published as
an excellent AUP template to work from.
--
Regards,
Bill Manning