Re: print support

Bill Kelly <kellywh@mail.auburn.edu> Fri, 16 July 1993 11:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1993 06:43:14 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bill Kelly <kellywh@mail.auburn.edu>
Subject: Re: print support
To: Multiple recipients of list TN3270E <TN3270E@list.nih.gov>

On Fri, 16 Jul 1993, Joe Peresich wrote:

>           I'm missing a piece of the picture: how is print routed?
>           How does the tn3270e server know where to send output
>           destined for a printer, or is this done with some other
>           piece of software, like lpr?  (ie - does the tn3270e server
>           assume the IP-address of the client is where the printer is
>           located?)

The TN3270E server would send print data to the client just like it would
terminal data.  The client would decide (and I'd expect this to be
configurable) where the stuff is ultimately sent - whether to put it in a
disk file, send it to LPTx (for a PC-based client), lpr it to some print
server, whatever...

>           Pardon me if this is a dumb question - I'm still tryin' to
>           learn this tcpip stuff!

Who isn't?? :-)

Thanks for chiming in - the more the merrier!

-Bill

Bill Kelly               phone: (205) 844-4512
Auburn University     Internet: kellywh@mail.auburn.edu