Re: [clouds] A cloud ref. framework for your review and comments

Sam Johnston <sj@google.com> Fri, 30 July 2010 16:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:55:27 +0200
From: Sam Johnston <sj@google.com>
To: "Fargano, Michael" <Michael.Fargano@qwest.com>
Cc: "clouds@ietf.org" <clouds@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [clouds] A cloud ref. framework for your review and comments

Every man and his dog is trying to [re]define cloud so I would be quite
happy for us to leave this well alone, which is to say I don't accept the
opening premise that "*Currently there is no Standard Reference Framework
for Cloud Services, so first we need to develop a Reference Framework*".

If we must then I would suggest working with the already well accepted 3
layer stack:

   - Application
   - Platform
   - Infrastructure

If you want a *functional* taxonomy (that is, one which is capable of
categorising everything in the space without polluting these
*service*layers with
*products*) then you can add server and client layers ala:

   - Client (Android, iOS, etc.)
   - Application (Gmail, Salesforce.com, MS BPOS, etc.)
   - Platform (Azure, App Engine, Heroku, etc.)
   - Infrastructure (Amazon EC2, EBS, VPC, etc.)
   - Server (Cisco UCS, SGI CloudRack, etc.)

Note that these two additional layers are typically products (hardware
and/or software) while the three main layers are always services.

There's no need to find/create complexity where there need be none.

Sam

--
*Sam Johnston*
*Technical Program Manager*