Re: Experimental ICMP Domain Name messages - RFC-to-be

stev@ftp.com Fri, 17 March 1995 19:46 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 14:44:28 -0500
To: jkrey@isi.edu
Subject: Re: Experimental ICMP Domain Name messages - RFC-to-be
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: stev@ftp.com
Cc: scoya@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, iesg@isi.edu, rfc-editor@isi.edu

    Security Considerations

       A primary purpose of this specification is to provide a mechanism for
       address to name resolution which is more secure than the IN-ADDR
       reverse tree.  This mechanism is amenable to use of the IP Security
       Protocols for authentication and privacy.

more secure? i am going to let every PC at ftp software potentially
*lie* about it's domain name, as opposed to just letting my system
administrators lie? please, this would be a big boon to the spoofing
people . . .

       Although the routing infrastructure to the Destination does not
       provide security in and of itself, it is as least as reliable as
       delivery of correspondence for the other sessions with the same peer.

hmm, this implies that most machines provide DNS service for themselves.
at ftp, we have somewhere over 1000 IP addressable devices. we have 4
official nameservers. (5 if you count research.ftp.com:)

this is amazing.

       A DNS cryptographic signature, located by using the reply in the
       forward DNS direction, can be used to verify the reply itself.

this is a cute little thing to appeand, espically since i dont remember
it appearing before this in the RFC.

"encrypting the data woudl make it more secure. this is left as an
excercise for the reader. let me know how it goes."

this should appear right before the IP Traceroute Option in my list
of "things to implement when my life is so pathetic i have nothing
better to do" list.

sorry, was i doing the Mike O'dell thing? sorry, i should have cursed
more. . . .