Re: IESG's support

Paul Mockapetris <pvm@isi.edu> Thu, 06 April 1995 00:50 UTC

To: "Vinton G. Cerf" <0001050002@mcimail.com>
Cc: bev dains <bdains@linus.isoc.org>, isoc trustees <isoc-trustees@isoc.org>, iesg <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: IESG's support
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 95 17:50:51 PDT
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Paul Mockapetris <pvm@isi.edu>

Vint,

> 2. Additional funds TBD for other work, and would most likely
>    be allocated based on a budget developed with IESG.

It would be easiest if we could at least have a range.  I have heard
$250K mentioned, but it has never been clear to me if that meant
legitimate requests up to that point would be honored.

With regard to disbursement, I would suggest the trustees give the
$250K checkbook to one person empowered to act on proposals within the
financial ceilings and consistent with the goals outlined.

> 7. Support for "hostless" IETF meetings? Can you say a bit more
>    about what that actually might mean? If at INET, it sounds as
>    if it might be for space, and perhaps audio-visual equipment,
>    and consumables? Are these "hostless" meetings intended to be
>    the same scale and structure at the conventional three meetings
>    such as the Danvers one, or is this something more informal
>    and smaller? Just not sure how to respond without a more
>    complete understanding of what is intended.

The IETF has grown to the point where it is difficult to find sponsors
willing to shell out the $50K-100K it takes to do an IETF meeting.
Hence, we have arrived at the point where we may need to purchase
multicast and/or terminal room services.  Larry and I have proposed a
joint meeting with INET 96 and IETF, where this may be necessary
because there is no IETF host.  I would think this particularly easy
for the ISOC, since we would just be moving some money from one ISOC
pocket to another.

I have to tell you that while meeting fee increases will eventually
cover this, I would really expect ISOC would be willing to address the
cash flow crunch.  If not, please tell me now.

paul

USC/Information Sciences Institute      phone: 310-822-1511 x285
4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA  fax:   310-823-6714
90292