Re: IESG's support

"Vinton G. Cerf" <0001050002@mcimail.com> Wed, 05 April 1995 22:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 17:16 EST
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Vinton G. Cerf" <0001050002@mcimail.com>
To: pvm <pvm@isi.edu>
Cc: bev dains <bdains@linus.isoc.org>, isoc trustees <isoc-trustees@isoc.org>, iesg <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: IESG's support

Paul,

thanks for the concrete message. Here is where I think
we stand today. I have NOT had our counsel or our accountant
review these comments, so I am asking them by CC: to keep me
honest if I have made misstatements. Ditto the trustees who
are also copied.

1. $25K has been allocated specifically for legal counsel for IESG.
   Disbursement from ISOC upon receipt of invoice from counsel -
   if we do not have a letter of agreement from counsel, that should
   be taken care of (an action for Geoff Stewart).

2. Additional funds TBD for other work, and would most likely
   be allocated based on a budget developed with IESG.

3. the cleanest disbursement mechanism would be to have an agreed
   budget and invoices coming to ISOC for disbursement from there
   so that our accounting can properly record the expenses. An IESG
   person could be authorized to make commitments in accordance
   with the agreed budget - much in the way we have handled conferences
   with non-ISOC chairs/treasurers. We would probably execute a
   letter agreement with the authorized party to spell out the
   responsibility for staying within the budget and providing
   adequate documentation for charges (invoicing ISOC is one way
   to do that).

4. As long as the expense falls within the budget and is consistent
   with allowed ISOC activities (non-profit constraints), it does
   not matter whether the expense is domestic or international.

5. There is a preference on my part to provide some staff support
   out of the Reston office but this is by no means an absolute
   requirement in my opinion.

6. Insurance for WG chairs and probably area directorates will
   almost assuredly fall outside the ambit of the Director's and
   Officer's liability insurance coverage that was recently
   extended to IAB and IESG members. One of the key questions will
   be exactly what is it that is to be defended by the insurance.
   Perhaps Geoff Stewart can be of some help here, having studied
   the question of liability for standards making in some detail.

7. Support for "hostless" IETF meetings? Can you say a bit more
   about what that actually might mean? If at INET, it sounds as
   if it might be for space, and perhaps audio-visual equipment,
   and consumables? Are these "hostless" meetings intended to be
   the same scale and structure at the conventional three meetings
   such as the Danvers one, or is this something more informal
   and smaller? Just not sure how to respond without a more
   complete understanding of what is intended.

Thanks for a constructive effort, Paul.

Vint