Re: IESG's support

Paul Mockapetris <pvm@isi.edu> Wed, 05 April 1995 18:37 UTC

To: Tony Rutkowski <amr@linus.isoc.org>
Cc: iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, isoc-exec@linus.isoc.org, isoc-trustees@isoc.org
Subject: Re: IESG's support
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 1995 11:38:01 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Paul Mockapetris <pvm@isi.edu>

> During the POISED meeting on Monday and in separate
> corridor conversations, both Paul and other IESG
> members indicated how valuable it would be to have
> one or two knowledgeable support staff provided to
> assist IESG members in their work.  The IAB Executive
> Director and the IAB Chair also indicated the
> desire to have "part-time" support for the IAB of
> one person.

This level of agreement is simply not there NOW.  To get to this level
of agreement,

The IESG would like:

A concrete statement that $x is available with x identified.  A range
is fine, so long as it isn't too vague.

A defined procedure for receiving approval of a proposed amount with
identification of an ISOC person responsible for approving requests.
I'm assuming we are at a stage where the money is there, and it will
be spent for any good purpose, and we are not in the mode of having to
submit a proposal which gets considered at the next BoT meeting.

A defined disbursement procedure.  That is, who holds the checkbook.

Any notable strings.  For example, if we identified a person who could
work from the University of Montana or Sydney on documents or web
pages, would this be unacceptable, and only staff time in ISOC Reston
meet the qualifications here?

While I would imagine that Tony's ideas are on the list, they are not
my personal top priorities.

Likely expenses include:

1. Legal help with POISED.

2. Insurance for WG chairs

3. Expenses associated with hostless IETF meetings, such as INET 96.

4. Innovative programming for web tracking of standards process, etc.

Obviously, the amount of money will influence our choices.

paul

USC/Information Sciences Institute      phone: 310-822-1511 x285
4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA  fax:   310-823-6714
90292