Follow the Money

"Jeffrey I. Schiller" <jis@mit.edu> Tue, 21 March 1995 16:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 11:41:04 -0500
To: pvm@isi.edu
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <jis@mit.edu>
Subject: Follow the Money
Cc: iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US

Paul,

        One thing that I am unclear on in general is how money flows
within the IETF process. I know that each participant in a meeting pays
$130-$150 (more OCONOS). I also know that there is a certain amount of
U.S. Government funding. I know that CNRI is funded (from where?) to
provide secretariat functions. That is all I know.

        Seems to me that the community is expecting the IESG to be
acting as a Board of Directors for the IETF. [we can argue whether or
not the IESG should do this or the IAB... that isn't my point here
though] Yet we (at least I) have no idea what the money flow is like,
nor do I feel that we have any say in the matter.

        Do you know/understand this. If you do is there a way for the
rest of us (or just me if this ignorance is limited to me) to find out?

                                -Jeff