Re: IESG's support

Paul Mockapetris <pvm@isi.edu> Thu, 06 April 1995 13:38 UTC

To: "Vinton G. Cerf" <0001050002@mcimail.com>
Cc: bev dains <bdains@linus.isoc.org>, isoc trustees <isoc-trustees@isoc.org>, iesg <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: IESG's support
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 06:38:45 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Paul Mockapetris <pvm@isi.edu>

> >Vint,
> >
> >> 2. Additional funds TBD for other work, and would most likely
> >>    be allocated based on a budget developed with IESG.
> >
> >It would be easiest if we could at least have a range.  I have heard
> >$250K mentioned, but it has never been clear to me if that meant
> >legitimate requests up to that point would be honored.
> >
> >With regard to disbursement, I would suggest the trustees give the
> >$250K checkbook to one person empowered to act on proposals within the
> >financial ceilings and consistent with the goals outlined.
> >
> If you mean literally give a checkbook, I'd have to defer to
> our accountant about whether that works for us - the alternative
> is to have invoices come to ISOC for payment so that we have the
> proper audit controls (the auditors usually require that persons
> authorizing payments are NOT the ones actually signing checks).
> Also, ISOC has some limits on amounts that can be disbursed
> (two signatures on amounts $10K and up).
>
> As to the maximum amount, the $250K figure has been proposed but
> not yet ratified by the trustees and I suspect you'd help the
> process along if we had a set of budgeted items that lay out
> the nature of the proposed expenditures.

We were actually talking about the smart card with your crypto key.
Anyway, I don't care about the procedures so long as there is a single
person empowered by the ISOC to make it happen without further debate,
discussion by the trustees, proposal writing, etc.  I do not want "the
checkbook" I want it in the hands of a responsible ISOC person who has
been told to pay legitimate bills up to $X.  Note that since I am not
an ISOC person, someone else will have the checkbook and I will not be
able to buy a yacht.

I'm getting the impression that the ISOC trustees want to decide for
themselves how to spend this money.  That will be fine.  The IESG can
just go back to its zero budget mode, and try to take advantage of
whatever ISOC buys for us.

paul

USC/Information Sciences Institute      phone: 310-822-1511 x285
4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA  fax:   310-823-6714
90292