Re: [codec] Discussion around ITU LS

Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@mozilla.com> Wed, 14 September 2011 00:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:02:25 -0700
From: Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@mozilla.com>
To: Anisse Taleb <Anisse.Taleb@huawei.com>
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg <jonathan.rosenberg@skype.net>, "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] Discussion around ITU LS

Hi Anisse,

Keep in mind that what we are standardizing here is a format more than
an actual implementation, so there's nothing that prevents anyone from
using any stretching/shortening algorithm. And in fact, thanks to Google
we now have an open-source time stretching/shortening algorithm as part
of the GIPS NetEQ jitter buffer they recently released:
http://webrtc.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/modules/audio_coding/NetEQ/main/source/
(see accelerate.c and expand.c more specifically). So I have really no
desire to reinvent the wheel.

In fact, I think this functionality belongs closer to the jitter buffer
than to the codec. Something like the PLC (which is also not going to be
normatively specified) belongs to the Opus decoder because it has to
interact with the codec state (i.e. regenerate not only the missing
data, but its effect on the predictors), which is not the case for the
stretching/shortening algo.

Cheers,

    Jean-Marc