Re: [codec] Testing Codec Quality

Michael Knappe <mknappe@juniper.net> Wed, 12 January 2011 09:31 UTC

From: Michael Knappe <mknappe@juniper.net>
To: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>, "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 01:32:35 -0800
user-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/13.3.0.091002
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [codec] Testing Codec Quality

Christian - WOW, what a fantastic document!

I encourage everyone to read this through and provide comments back to the
mailing list. In particular, check out section 10.2 which lists detailed
considerations for the proposed semi-formal testing with the 6+ volunteer
'test houses'. One of the issues we've been dealing with in our discussions
is how to divide up testing of even a simplified list of codec configuration
and operational permutations (Christian easily came up with 48 different
test cases) between the test houses. The plan is to have a very short list
of basic codec test cases that every test house repeats, along with a longer
list of permutations that is divided among the test houses.

We do need to add a section outlining the proposed widescale informal
listening tests via a web based mushra app that will be done alongside the
semi-formal testing. Look for that app soon at www.open-codec.com, we're
working on getting that app up and running as we speak.

Thanks again to Christian for all the effort put into this doc.

Cheers,

Mike