[codec] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-codec-opus-update-08: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Mon, 14 August 2017 15:56 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-codec-opus-update@ietf.org, Tim Terriberry <tterriberry@mozilla.com>, codec-chairs@ietf.org, tterriberry@mozilla.com, codec@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:56:29 -0700
Subject: [codec] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-codec-opus-update-08: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-codec-opus-update-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-codec-opus-update/

COMMENT:

While I support the publication as this seems to be the right thing for me to
do in this situation, I find it really weird that we have to publish an RFC to
fix bugs in an example implementation in the appendix (that is even encoded).
While it is a good thing to have code in an RFC as far as this helps
implementation, maybe rfc6716 went to far with putting a whole reference
implementation in there. I guess that has also led to a situation where
everybody is just using the provided code while efforts to reimplement the spec
could have detected these bugs earlier in the process. Maybe it's an item for
the IESG to thinking about how to provide a reference implementation with an
RFC (that maybe can be updated easier) other than just putting it in the
appendix.

One more actionable comment: I think the abstract could say more about the
updates, especially maybe noticing that this only updates the code in the
appendix and not the normative language in the body.