Re: [codec] #5: Mention DTMF in requirements

Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com> Sat, 03 April 2010 01:28 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:25:38 -0400
From: Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
To: "Raymond (Juin-Hwey) Chen" <rchen@broadcom.com>
Cc: "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] #5: Mention DTMF in requirements

I understand your points. There are few questions that I have:

1. Do we need a real world DTMF and telephone signals recording database to
implement this? Correct me if I am wrong, you've done your tests for BV16
using your own DTMF generator and unspecified "commercial" DTMF detector.
How would define this test in a way it is possible to replicate it by third
parties and reference it in a standard?

2. Did you ever test your CODEC for other telephony signals, such as /ANSam,
ANS, CED, and CI tones? These tones are needed in order to detect modems and
fax machines and switch to an appropriate payload. What about progress
tones?

3. Is this criteria feasible for large frame CELP CODECs? Are we going to
exclude them based on this criteria?
Roman Shpount - www.telurix.com

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Raymond (Juin-Hwey) Chen <rchen@broadcom.com