Re: [codec] Audio tests: Further steps

Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@mozilla.com> Tue, 23 April 2013 21:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:46:55 -0400
From: Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@mozilla.com>
To: Paul Coverdale <coverdale@sympatico.ca>
Cc: codec@ietf.org, cs.wg2.qualinet@listes.epfl.ch
Subject: Re: [codec] Audio tests: Further steps

On 04/23/2013 05:34 PM, Paul Coverdale wrote:
> I don't know why you're pouring scorn on this exercise, Ron. It
> seems to me that it is a bona-fide attempt to understand the
> strengths and weaknesses of the Opus codec in a controlled,
> unbiased manner, what a characterisation test should do. It should
> have been done as part of the IETF codec WG activity, but better
> late than never.

It's indeed a way to see what the strengths and weaknesses of a codec
are. I think what Ron mostly meant is that any *average* you compute
on such test would not be representative of which codec is better than
the other. Essentially, carefully picking out-liars is the worst form
of sampling you can have. It's useful for developers (knowing what to
focus on assuming you don't already know), but not for making general
quality conclusions.

	Jean-Marc