Re: [codec] requirements #23 (new): Impact of packet headers and header compression

"Christian Hoene" <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de> Fri, 25 March 2011 22:51 UTC

From: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
To: codec@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 23:53:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [codec] requirements #23 (new): Impact of packet headers and header compression

Hi

[Christian Hoene]

I think that it is important to note that a single optimization criteria is not enough to cope with the effect of packet overhead.

Thus, I suggest that the codec shall not be tested nor optimized against bit rate but also consider frame rates (as latter reduces the packet overhead).
Thus, the codec is a multi-parameter optimization problems which audio quality, bit rate, frame rate, complexity, and latency (among others).

Bringing this down to the contest of audio quality vs. bit rate is somewhat simplistic albeit it has a long tradition in the codec developers' community. Also, this contest cannot be won by Opus (nor it should), as some recent publications at AES San Francisco have shown.

However, as already mentioned in the Word document, this view (bit rate vs. quality) is still to be found in the requirements document.  IMHO, this makes no sense.

With best regards,

 Christian