Re: [codec] draft test and processing plan for the IETF Codec

Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net> Thu, 14 April 2011 07:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:27:39 +0200
From: Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>
To: Anisse Taleb <anisse.taleb@huawei.com>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] draft test and processing plan for the IETF Codec

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> This clarifies a few things, though it makes other aspects more puzzling.

Anisse, I too am confused by your proposed "test plan".

By my count, only 8 of the 32 codec/bitrate requirements have a match in the
codec requirements document.  Of the other 24, many seem rather contentious.
Had you wanted to add requirements, you could have suggested and motivated
them directly to the mailing list or at the meetings a long time ago.

But my problem with your 24 "new" requirements is not just procedural.
If you read the charter of this WG, you'll see that "beating most existing
codecs" was never a goal.  The strongest wording about performance is that
the codec shall enable "high-quality audio services on the Internet".
Instead of spending countless hours on testing against arbitrary
requirements, what better way to verify that we've reached that goal than
deploying it in actual Internet applications?

Early adopters will realize there is always a risk that the bitstream will
have to change, no matter how much we test.  They'll also know that the
likelihood of such changes decreases fairly quickly with time and adoption.

Stephen Botzko recently pointed out that codecs implemented in hardware are
difficult to upgrade(*).  While true, it's no argument against deploying
sooner rather than later, because no sensible hardware manufacturer is going
to put OPUS in hardware before it has proven itself in the market place.

The testing done to date by developers and independent parties shows we do
indeed have "running code."  But the proof of the pudding is in the eating,
and voluntary deployment in real-world (software) applications is the right
next step.

best,
koen.

*) http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/msg02352.html