[codec] Speech Quality Aspects in emergency calls

"Christian Hoene" <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de> Thu, 27 May 2010 10:49 UTC

From: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
To: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, codec@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:48:58 +0200
Cc: ecrit@ietf.org
Subject: [codec] Speech Quality Aspects in emergency calls

Hello Cullen,
dear ECRIT experts,

>I think that the bulk of the people that work on emergency calls in the ECRIT WG and much of the IESG
>are going to be very strong supporters of exactly what Brian is saying here.

I agree that the support of emergency call are important, also in the IETF WG Codec. However, at this point of time it is not clear
to me what the service requirements of an emergency call are going to be. Which speech/audio quality requirements do the emergency
agencies have?

Brian is suggesting a technical solution to become a requirement. But, don't we have to listen to the users, first? Only then, we
can develop a technical solutions that might affect our work in the Codec WG.

> The implications aren't a
>big deal for the CODEC WG, just that you need to be able to use SDP to signal no VAD.

Are you sure that this is the only requirement? I think that there are other important things in case of emergency calls. Do they
need audio quality? Do they need ultra-low-delay or is any transmission delay fine? What shall happen, if the transmission quality
is bad? Push-to-talk?

> No one thinks an
>end user is going to go and change the configuration in their phone before making an emergency call.

No, he does know VAD and he does not care about. Some part of the system must take care of. However, the user does know that he
wants to make a emergency call and the phone might have a button called "emergency call".

>If you want the CODEC chairs to go ask the ECRIT WG Chairs if they think this is a requirement for an
>internet codec, it's easy to make that happen but they are going to tell us the same thing Brian is.

Good idea, I carbon-copied this email to the ECRIT mailing list, if you do not mind.

With best regards,

 Christian