[codec] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-terriberry-oggopus-01.txt

"Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterribe@xiph.org> Mon, 16 July 2012 22:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:56:16 -0700
From: "Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterribe@xiph.org>
To: codec@ietf.org
Subject: [codec] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-terriberry-oggopus-01.txt

We consolidated the suggestions on the list that appeared to have some
amount of consensus (and made some additional minor changes), and put
together a new version of the draft. Brief changelog:

- Mandate that the ID header must complete on the first page (to
remove any ambiguities about this requirement in RFC 3533).
- Split the "Granule Position" section into subsections.
- Move the first paragraph of the "Other Implementation Notes"
section into the "Granule Position" section, add general seeking
implementation guidance, and be specific about the interaction
between pre-roll and pre-skip.
- Retitle the remaining contents of the "Other Implementation Notes"
section to "Packet Size Limits"
- Specify that all the header fields are REQUIRED and that
implementations SHOULD reject headers that don't have enough data.
- Specify that implementations MUST NOT reject headers with extra
data if they have an unknown minor version number.
- Add a reference to RFC 3629 (UTF-8).
- Clarify what "skipped" means with pre-skip.
- Add an informative reference to Vorbis end-trimming.
- Clarify contents of the vendor string.
- Clarify how Opus packets are packed into multistream Ogg packets.
- Other minor grammatical and wording improvements.
- Add Ralph Giles as an author.

I specifically did not swap the order of Sections 3 and 4, and I did not
move the definitions of the channel mapping families before the
definition of the channel mapping table fields (because in addition to
the definition of "output channels", it requires the concept of "stream
index", which requires the definition of "coupled streams"). Right now
two out of three authors are arguing against those two changes, but if
more people have opinions, or if there's anything else I forgot, feel
free to speak up.
--- Begin Message ---
A new version of I-D, draft-terriberry-oggopus-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Timothy B. Terriberry and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-terriberry-oggopus
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec
Creation date:	 2012-07-16
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 30
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-terriberry-oggopus-01
Diff:            http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-terriberry-oggopus-01

Abstract:
   This document defines the Ogg encapsulation for the Opus interactive
   speech and audio codec.  This allows data encoded in the Opus format
   to be stored in an Ogg logical bitstream.  Ogg encapsulation provides
   Opus with a long-term storage format supporting all of the essential
   features, including metadata, fast and accurate seeking, corruption
   detection, recapture after errors, low overhead, and the ability to
   multiplex Opus with other codecs (including video) with minimal
   buffering.  It also provides a live streamable format, capable of
   delivery over a reliable stream-oriented transport, without requiring
   all the data, or even the total length of the data, up-front, in a
   form that is identical to the on-disk storage format.

The IETF Secretariat

--- End Message ---