Re: [codec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-opus-12.txt> (Definition of the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Mon, 30 April 2012 22:53 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: SM <sm@resistor.net>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 22:53:13 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.5]
Cc: "codec-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <codec-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-opus-12.txt> (Definition of the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

Hi,
This subject was also raised by our AD on the codec mailing list.  The
statement is about spec text copyright (with the possible exception of the
word "use", which is loaded in this context, see BSD license and implicit
patent grant ambiguity).  Insofar, the patent licensing statement received
appear to be irrelevant to this discussion.
Generally speaking, according to the TLP, the authors are free to provide
a wider copyright grant than the TLP is providing, and they intend to do
so with this section.  See also here:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/msg02845.html for some
justification.  The question of whether a section in the subject doc is
the right place for such a grant has not yet been answered.
My view on the latter: it's not.  One issue of having such a notice is
that it expressly allows derivative work, possibly WITHOUT removing the
IETF boilerplate and the TLP copyright notice first.  This would go
against language and spirit of the TLP.  We (the IETF) does NOT want and
do not allow derivative work of our specs outside of the IETF process.
The authors are free to publish the opus spec elsewhere, with whatever
copyright grants they wish to attach to.  But they should first remove any
references of the doc being an IETF-RFC or , more precisely, falling under
the TLP.
Stephan