Re: [codec] Adopt draft-valin-codec-results as a working group item

Anisse Taleb <Anisse.Taleb@huawei.com> Thu, 08 September 2011 10:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:54:27 +0000
From: Anisse Taleb <Anisse.Taleb@huawei.com>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@jdrosen.net>, "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] Adopt draft-valin-codec-results as a working group item

Hi all,

If I recall right, there was a consensus at the meeting in Quebec that this document will be assigned to Christian as editor and that work will progress into making this document as good and as complete as possible. Thus, IMHO, the document is a good starting point for further editing. When it comes to the contents of the document, I think what the industry would like to see is a full characterization of the Opus codec and its features as an internet codec which is a core objective of this work. On the other hand, tests performed prior to the adoption (or freeze) of the codec do not offer much in terms of characterization since they relate to a earlier version of the codec and will not accurately reflect the performance of the codec. In summary, section 2) and 3) should be removed and the focus shifted towards a more detailed section 4).

Kind regards,
/Anisse