Re: [codec] #5: Mention DTMF in requirements

Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com> Fri, 02 April 2010 20:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:25:59 -0400
From: Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
To: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] #5: Mention DTMF in requirements

This was somewhat my point: instead of figuring out how to encode telephone
signals in the CODEC encode them using these standards. If we need to make
this robust in situations when these CODECs are not available we can include
a pass though mechanism for their content in the CODEC itself (even though I
really think this is a bad idea). Whatever we are going to do to encode
telephony signals would probably be worse quality, less robust and consume
more bandwidth then the existing work. Not sure why we need to recreate it.

Comfort noise is a different animal altogether. First of all, I think CN is
covered by IPR licensing from G.729. Furthermore, unless I am mistaken, it
is narrow band. I heard suggestions about using AMR-WB comfort noise for
wide band, but this once again might be covered by AMR-WB IPR.
Roman Shpount - www.telurix.com