Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org> Sun, 28 March 2010 17:30 UTC

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:30:59 -0700
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
To: Michael Knappe <mknappe@juniper.net>
Cc: "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>, "James.Rafferty@dialogic.com" <James.Rafferty@dialogic.com>
Subject: Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

On 03/28/2010 09:40 AM, Michael Knappe wrote:
> Marc,
>
> This is not about the codec itself being involved in transcoding operations,
> but instead testing our proposed codec chained (tandemed) with other codecs
> in typical mixed topologies (e.g. Cell network to voip network) to ensure we
> do not incur severe deleterious quality issues. This does not need to be
> extensively tested against all known codecs, a few representative codecs
> would suffice. Given the expected quality of our proposed codec I wouldn't
> expect any issues here, but worth testing nonetheless.

Sorry, but I still do not understand the need for this testing.  In a cell
network to VoIP topology, the codec selected must be an ITU codec which we
already know are working fine for transcoding.  In a VoIP to VoIP topology the
codec selected is the one defined by this WG and by definition no transcoding is
needed.  And that's it, no test needed, because nobody will use it this way.

One case for transcoding could be made for a voicemail:  A voicemail receives
calls from both ITU and CODEC's codec.  One may think that in this case
transcoding would be needed, but in fact the original destination of the call
supports both codecs, so the voicemail simply records in whatever format is
used.  The original destination uses an ITU codec if the call was from a cell
network and the CODEC's codec if it was from the Internet.  Again, no
transcoding needed.

Another case is that if a voicemail records with the CODEC's codec because the
destination was on the Internet, but the destination wants to listen the
voicemail from another device, one which is on the cell network, then
transcoding would be needed.  A good solution in this case is for the Internet
device to send two streams to the voicemail, one with each codec.  RFC 3264 can
be used for this, but a better way would be to use the ITU codec as a redundant
codec. Because this is streaming and not interactive the destination cannot
request to repeat if packets are lost, and so redundancy is kind of mandatory in
this case. Anyway playing/recording a voicemail is not an interactive activity
but a streaming one, which the CODEC charter explicitly excluded as goal, so the
CODEC's codec should not be used with a voicemail.

Unless there is a something that is not said here (and my paranoid mind already
have multiple theories), I would make it a goal to explicitly *not* do this test.

Reporter:  hoene@…                 |       Owner:

Question: Shall the point-to-point call support transcoding?

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: marc@petit-huguenin.org