Re: [codec] draft test and processing plan for the IETF Codec

Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin@octasic.com> Mon, 18 April 2011 17:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:54:54 -0400
From: Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin@octasic.com>
To: David Virette <david.virette@huawei.com>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] draft test and processing plan for the IETF Codec

Hi David,

Just to be clear, Opus *does* have support for what ITU-T codecs call
super-wideband, i.e. 14-16 kHz audio bandwidth. For Opus, this bandwidth is
covered by the full-band mode because given the Opus architecture, the
overhead of coding the 16-20 kHz band was small enough that it wasn't worth
creating another mode for cases where there is no content in that band.

That being said, a well-designed VoIP application should ideally use all
the bandwidth that's available and only low-pass/skip frequency bands when
doing so improves quality given the bit-rate. The only exception to the
principle of going with the bandwidth that maximizes quality would be
narrowband, because of the PSTN compatibility issue.

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc