Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org> Sun, 28 March 2010 15:48 UTC

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:49:15 -0700
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
To: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: codec@ietf.org, 'James Rafferty' <James.Rafferty@dialogic.com>
Subject: Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

I think that transcoding must be an explicit non-goal for this codec.  If you do
transcoding, there you are probably doing it in some hardware that you are
selling.  There is no shortage of ITU codecs that supports transcoding, and
paying royalties for them is not an issue when you are licensing your code as
part of an hardware product.

This Internet codec is designed for the FOSS developers or at least for pure
software developers, the one that cannot bundle their software with some
harwdare, and so cannot afford to pay royalties but also do not care about
transcoding.

Keep the codec as simple as possible (but not simpler) so it has a chance to be
really royalty-free.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: marc@petit-huguenin.org