Re: [codec] Royalty Free codec standards -- don't settle for less

Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com> Wed, 11 November 2009 20:43 UTC

From: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>
To: Rob Glidden <rob.glidden@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 05:44:03 +0900
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Royalty Free codec standards -- don't settle for less

Am I missing something here?  I cannot tell if what you are saying is
the JVC EG was able to produce a RF baseline (the last paragraph) or
they were not able to produce a RF baseline (the second to last
paragraph)?

One thing that is clearly different is IPR declaration in the IETF is
not optional: it is mandatory and the policy is clear.  Moreover,
there is established case law that if a participant neglects to
declare their IPR, and the IPR gets incorporated into a standard, the
participant loses their IP rights.