Re: [codec] comparitive quality testing: vote to add iLBC in

Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Fri, 29 April 2011 10:06 UTC

From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: Alan Duric <Alan.Duric@telio.no>, Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 04:06:45 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] comparitive quality testing: vote to add iLBC in

Hi, Alan and Roman,

   I am not sure what this thread leads the working group but I'd like to
say a few points about iLBC.

Roman wrote:
> One can argue that we should also compare Opus with patent free codecs,
> which adds iLBC and Speex to the list, but I personally see this as
> less of a requirement. iLBC never managed to get market traction
> outside of the open source world,
Doing comparative quality testing against G.711, iLBC, G.729, G.722, and
G.722.2 AMR-WB provides considerable values to many vendor companies that
have implemented these codecs and to numerous service providers that have
deployed them (or are considering to).  I'd like to see iLBC added to the
list.

My team at CableLabs did quite a bit of work on iLBC and other codecs
almost 10 years ago.
Around 2002, we launched a project to find a royalty-free, narrowband
codec that could be implemented in PacketCable(tm) networks and that could
be submitted to our IPR pool including codec implementation references.
All we had when we started was G.711.  I'll skip the multi-year process...
iLBC was selected by CableLabs after some extensive testing outsourced to
two well-known and independent testing labs staffed with what I considered
at the time worldwide codec experts having worked on many codecs and
implementations (including some well-known standard codecs).  iLBC became
part of our PacketCable 1.1 now called PacketCable 1.5 specifications
prior to the codec becoming an IETF Experimental RFC.
In terms of voice codec deployments in cable networks, the fact is that it
is mostly G.711 today in the field - no questions there. Each cable
operator makes its own decision. The reasons for this lack of iLBC
deployments in cable networks are numerous and for the most part, outside
codec considerations.

That said, iLBC has been implemented by many as noted on the list.
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but my wireshark capture of an Apple
Facetime call shows a SIP invite with support for iLBC in addition to
X-AAC_ELD, X-G722 and PCMU.
--- Facetime call capture done in Oct 2010
    Message Body
        Session Description Protocol
            Session Description Protocol Version (v): 0
            Owner/Creator, Session Id (o): GKVoiceChatService 0 0 IN IP4
192.160.73.209
                Owner Username: GKVoiceChatService
                Session ID: 0
                Session Version: 0

Media Attribute (a): rtpmap:124 iLBC/8000

Jean-Francois.
jfm@cablelabs.com