Re: [codec] Authors and disclosures, regarding Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-opus-12.txt>

Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@juniper.net> Wed, 02 May 2012 00:24 UTC

From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@juniper.net>
To: Joe Baker <jbakercto@gmail.com>, "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 17:22:53 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [codec] Authors and disclosures, regarding Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-opus-12.txt>

For the sake of historic accuracy,

> |Jean-Marc Valin           21152  42%  Y |
> |Gregory Maxwell           20497  41%  Y |
> |Koen Vos                   4111   8%  Y |
> |Timothy B. Terriberry      3057   6%  Y |

Even with a SCM it can be tricky to sort out who did what.

I didn't write half the codec, in particular git misattributes about 15,000
lines of the silk code to me because I corrected formatting issues. Much of
that should be assigned to the silk team. My contribution to the silk layer
mostly was finding bugs, removing code, dependencies on undefined behavior,
etc.

Similarly, a few hundred lines of Tim's code is misattributed to me because
he and the compiler have a disagreement about the importance of parentheses
around weakly binding operators like <<. At some point I reviewed and fixed
all the warnings. The numbers also look like they might include the testing
code which I wrote most of but isn't a part of the draft.

These sorts of line counting metrics don't rightfully attribute many of the
contributions which didn't directly change the implementation or the text--
like the fact that Tim wrote a nearly complete second implementation of the
codec, significant software testing by myself, psycho-acoustic testing plus
tuning by Monty, Igor C., Kat, and others, or Ben Schwartz's consistent and
thoughtful shed-painting of the entire codec design (he convinced Jean-Marc
that the mode switching could be made glitchless without boiling the oceans
by figuring out how to do it with minimal modifications and writing running
code for it, though that wasn't the specific code that made it in).