Re: [codec] Discussion around ITU LS

Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net> Wed, 21 September 2011 18:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:32:15 +0200
From: Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>
To: Anisse Taleb <Anisse.Taleb@huawei.com>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Discussion around ITU LS

My two cents:

Time scaling is important for using a codec on the Internet, but so is e.g. a jitter buffer.  People who want a full software stack for interactive Internet audio applications should look elsewhere (WebRTC).  By exposing internal pitch information through the API we enable an efficient integration of the codec, and that should be where our responsibility ends.

Furthermore, leaving out superfluous functionality helps to minimize risk of IPR infringement.

koen.