[Codematch-develop] Feedback

"Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com> Mon, 13 June 2016 07:11 UTC

From: "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
To: "codematch-develop@ietf.org" <codematch-develop@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 07:06:21 +0000
x-mailer: Apple Mail (2.3124)
x-originating-ip: [10.122.56.79]
Subject: [Codematch-develop] Feedback

Hi,

Kathleen asked me to give some feedback about the current state of the system.

I started by going to http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-dev/codematch/dashboard/. That gives an error :-(

The I tried http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-dev/codematch/dashboard_dev/. That worked. But I can't log in the normal way we use for datatracker development (all passwords are "password".) So I am not sure if I can test this fully.

The dashboard page is otherwise empty. I note that it is VERY slow to use the site - can't we host this in EC2 or by using a CDN?

I note that it looks VERY different from the normal datatracker. Bootstrap is being loaded, but so are a gazillion of other js libraries. We went through great pains to unify the look & feel of the datatracker through the use of only bootstrap widgets; I don't see why this extension needs to look so different (and IMO uglier). Bootstrap (and consequently the datatracker) have a UI concept - this site doesn't.

I click on "CodeMatch" in the menu bar, and am taken to what looks like the normal landing page. It needs a lot more introductory text about what CodeMatch is, who should participate, etc.

I click on "CodeMatches" and am shown a list of dummy offerings. Since none of the test CodeMatches uses realistic information, it's hard to know whether this display will show useful information. Please put some actual, real, complete examples into the system for testing.

I click on "New Title" and am shown a CodeMatch. I don't see any buttons that would let me pick this one if I wanted to work on it, or links to the IETF areas, WGs, RFCs or IDs that are related (there are links, and social media icons, but they don't seem to do anything).

I click on "CodeRequests" in the menu bar, and a menu pops up with just one entry? Anyway, I click "All CodeRequests", and the same page I am on reloads. Hm.

I click "Top Coders" in the menu bar, and see a list of people. ("Codings" is not a word, by the way.) I click on "Christian O'Flaherty". Nothing happens.

At this point, I give up.

So, I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but here is my feedback:

The site seems to be very incomplete and slow. It doesn't seem to be built with much of a UI concept in mind. I don't think we're anywhere near ready to put it live.

Lars