Re: [Codematch-develop] Codematch Call Wed 13 May

Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville <granville@inf.ufrgs.br> Sun, 17 May 2015 21:20 UTC

From: Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville <granville@inf.ufrgs.br>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 18:19:50 -0300
To: Christian O'Flaherty <oflaherty@isoc.org>
Cc: codematch-develop <codematch-develop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Codematch-develop] Codematch Call Wed 13 May

Hi Christian

Comments below...

> Em 17/05/2015, à(s) 17:54, Christian O'Flaherty <oflaherty@isoc.org> escreveu:
>
> I’m replaying to myself here:

Sorry, I missed your other message, but this one I’m replying now.

>>> - A “Project Container” is linked to zero or more documents. Each Document is linked to zero or one container
>>
>> In the current implementation, the relationship is: A “Project Container” is linked to one document.
>>
>> I think we should always have at least one document linked.
>>
>> I’m not sure if we need more than one document linked from the container. I thought the best way to capture the fact that an implementation needed more than one document was on the “Code Project” table referring to several “Project Containers". But I can easily change that if needed.
>>

> Lisandro, you’re right:
> “ProjectContainer” is linked to one or more documents because the “creator” for a project container is the author or chair who knows what other documents are related (it may not be only one)
>
> And we will also need a mapping from a single project to several containers because the “coder” is probably implementing several documents (containers) and the creator for that entry is the programmer.
>
> So ProjectContainer to CodingProject is many to many, ProjectContainer to Document is one to many.

I understand your point. However, I believe it’s a matter of, let’s say, how the “workflow” of a documento>Request>Implementation is understood. My reading, from all our discussions, is the following:

1) There are several documents (I-Ds, RFCs, etc.) available;

2) Someone (e.g., group chair) needs the development of some code for one or more documents related to one another. The group chair then creates a CodeRequest in the system, linking that request to the document(s) he/she wants someone else to code. A mentor is assigned to this CodeRequest as well. In the current data model, a CodeRequest is materialized by creating a new ProjectContainer as well as a new CodeRequest linked to that container;

3) Developers interested in coding for a specific, advertised CodeRequest associate their projects to that CodeRequest by creating a CodeProject in the data model. Notice however that the set of documents that the new projects will code is inherited from the original CodeRequest (linked in the data model to the code request’s Project Container entry). It means that the set of document is something handled at the Project Container, instead of at the CodeProject.

My understanding is that allowing a single CodeProject to be linked to several ProjectContainers will create confusion. We wanted “comparable” CodeProjects that could related to the same sets of documents. That is achieved by linking these projects to the same ProjectContainer. That’s why I still believe the relationship here is still a many (Code Projects) to 1 (ProjectContainer).

Best regards,

Lisandro