Re: [Coin] Comments re. draft-irtf-coinrg-use-cases (was: Re: Cancelling the COINRG meeting at IETF113)

Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com> Mon, 14 March 2022 08:13 UTC

From: Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, Sharon Barkai <sharon.barkai@getnexar.com>
CC: "Schooler, Eve M" <eve.m.schooler@intel.com>, Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@mjmontpetit.com>, coinrg-chairs <coinrg-chairs@ietf.org>, coin <coin@irtf.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:12:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.52.142.11]
Subject: Re: [Coin] Comments re. draft-irtf-coinrg-use-cases (was: Re: Cancelling the COINRG meeting at IETF113)

Toerless, all,

As one of the contributors to the content of the use case draft, let me outline a few things that may help understand how we compiled the overall content (which has grown from at least two different contributions to the RG, complemented then with contributions from co-authors that we had sought through list and personal research interactions) - I hope what I will say below captures the intentions of the author set but I do not claim that, so please (my co-authors) extend on anything I will say, if needed, and apologies upfront if I say something you heavily disagree with:

The point of the document is not to outline THE use case for COIN, maybe even the 'killer use case' (some may like us doing this but I always find such angle of discovery fraught for a variety of reasons I won't go into here).

Instead, we were looking for use cases that may help us formulate challenges and research questions for COIN at large. We then later decided to frame some of those 'COIN aspects' with those prefixed words you can find in the document. The prefixing is not meant to introduce new terms (nor eliminate important differences) but to delimit the challenges and questions to the aspects of COIN that may matter while there are, of course, large-than-COIN aspects that we may not (want to) care about in order to scope discussions. It may not be the best approach of doing this but it felt like a good one at the time of doing so. But again, 'coining' new words is not really what this is about.

Coming back to the list of use cases: when thinking of challenges and possible research questions, even possible requirements to technologies addressing those challenges, it is clear to me that the use cases are not limited to 'new COIN' stuff only. Yes, some very edge computing looking use cases are part of it (most or all of Section 3), where the question is how COIN capabilities could enable new experiences and improve on existing ones (that improvement may be seen as "new" too, if things like dynamicity of interactions or similar is being improved significantly). You then have use cases that may drive the introduction of new 'COIN' systems, found in Section 4 as well as those improve on or introducing new COIN capabilities (Section 5 and 6, respectively).

This is unlikely a perfect view of looking at use cases but one that is driven by outlining those areas of research that may be impacted by those use cases or where those (existing) use case may be impacted by COIN solutions. For this reason, we also (for now) adopted the categorization of research questions outlined in Section 7, i.e., those RQs going at the heart of COIN (visions and enabling technologies) but also those related to 'applicability areas' (sticking to this word for now until we find a better one or will like it), i.e., areas that may be impacted by COIN (one of which is routing, which showed up early in the history of this work in one of my use cases); you may recognize those categories as largely being those I discussed in my contribution to the interim, derived from my understanding of COIN (charter and discussions so far over the past 3 years or so).

So this is not about what may be 'in' or 'not in' network (an interesting question though but I would expect that answer from some sort of vision work on COIN) or the difference to 'just distributed apps' (since COIN will execute distributed apps so it is of interest what, if any, will change for those distributed apps if COIN was made reality).

From my perspective, key of this work but also the wider work in COIN is to find out what the scope and extent of 'COIN' really is when we write 'COIN system' or similar in use cases like that. It may be a lot, or rather little or simply something rather specific (hopefully) that we can put our finger on once the research progresses. It is not about coining terms though; I'm happy to call it anything one wants if that will make you accept the work better but I find a name discussion before a content discussion to always be a slippery slope.

Best,

Dirk