Re: [Coma] Reprogramming Protocols

"Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com> Tue, 17 July 2012 10:09 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:09:38 +0200
From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com>
To: "ext Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, Jonathan.Hansford@generaldynamics.uk.com, coma@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Coma] Reprogramming Protocols

Dear Pascal,

I am wondering whether this has to do with network management. I think
we should differentiate between the management and operation of the
network.

A programmable routing functionality which improves the operational
behavior might be useful but not in our focus. Coma(n) especially raises
the questions on and discusses the use cases and requirements for the
management of networks with constrained devices.

I can imagine policy management as a requirement on the management of
networks with constrained devices. If you think so, please formulate it
and describe the use case from the application pov. However, I think
optimizing routing functionality is on another level.

Please read also the problem statement in -01 draft which hopefully
describes the focus of Coma(n):
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ersue-constrained-mgmt-01

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,