Re: [Coma] Possible topics?

"Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com> Fri, 08 June 2012 11:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 13:27:07 +0200
From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com>
To: ext Ulrich Herberg <ulrich@herberg.name>, coma@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Coma] Possible topics?

Hi Ulrich,

> I just discovered this mailing list. Some aspects I have in mind about
> the topic of managing constrained devices and networks:
>
> - Do we actually manage single devices or whole networks (or groups of
> devices)? At least in MANETs, it may be of equal interest to monitor
> (and manage) the performance of a whole network, rather than just a
> single router.

Our aim is to look also at constrained networks and groups of devices.

> - Should we support a distributed approach or a enforce a centralized
> NMS? (or support both modes of operation?)

Based on the size and type of the network both approaches could make
sense.

> - Which transport protocols do we want to use? TCP/UDP or something
like COAP?

As Benoit stated we are talking on requirements and not on solutions;
especially we will not propose to use a specific protocol or solution.

> - Do we need efficient, reliable multicast (like NORM, but
> lightweight) to distribute control traffic more efficiently?
> - Can we provide sufficient levels of security without putting too
> much burden on constrained devices? Which authentication modes do we
> need?
> - Should there be a proxy functionality like RMON (or something like
> the currently developed REPORT-MIB in MANET), in order to record
> performance related values locally and then send to a NMS later?
> - Will there be a mapping to existing management protocols like SNMP
> for border gateways?
> - Is there any assumption for this work about the reliability of the
> channel, the kind of the link layer (e.g., wireless/wired), mobility
> etc? Or is the only assumption that the devices are "constrained" (in
> terms of memory? CPU? network connection?)

Good questions. It would be helpful if you could start a discussion by
stating why you think these should be requirements on constrained
networks.

> Best
> Ulrich

Cheers,