[Coma] (no subject)

<tayeb.benmeriem@orange.com> Wed, 06 June 2012 20:04 UTC

From: tayeb.benmeriem@orange.com
To: "coma@ietf.org" <coma@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:04:43 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.1]
Subject: [Coma] (no subject)

Dear all,

It's an excellent idea to investigate this domain. From my perspective, the first requirements related to the management aspect of such devices in their particular environment are auto-configuration which is addressed by design. When it comes to standardization for sure there is some work to do accordingly.

Within operator's environment, could be Fixed or Mobile networks, the Home Gateway and its attached devices, BBF protocol TR-69 is adopted and used for managing (configuration) of HomeNodeB and HomeeNodeBs. Netconf and its associated modeling language Yang have reached a maturity and are implemented in vendors' solutions. Some extensions are considered in order to address management aspects beyond simple configuration.

The requirements and associated solutions should be business driven, and then we address the technical solutions. That means, we should look at the vertical market needs (Health, Digital Home, ...) in terms of expectation of SLAs. Then the question is how to translate these SLAs into SLOs, metrics and how to track, measure, collect and report them (the needed management models and tools) in order to meet the SLAs.

The question related to the management is 3-fold:

- Which protocol: should we adapt the existing ones (TR-69, Netconf, ) to this constrained devices and network, or should designnew ones as IETF did for routing protocols.

- Which interface:  We should not re-invente the wheel

- Which Data model:  We should not re-invente the wheel.

So, this first draft should contain at least the following sections

-    Problem statement

-    Business needs and requirements

-    Technical requirements

-    Gap analysis: missing pieces to be covered by IETF and other SDOs

-    New topics to be investigated

Regards

Tayeb

France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.