Re: [coman] Device Classes?

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 04 April 2014 12:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 13:48:36 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Sehgal, Anuj" <s.anuj@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: "coman@ietf.org" <coman@ietf.org>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Subject: Re: [coman] Device Classes?

Hi Anuj,

Thanks for the feedback. Your data confirmed my guess.

To me it would make sense to make different assumptions about end
devices and routers since they have different requirements. For a router
I might even be convinced that network management protocols are useful
but I am not at all convinced that end devices should run them.

Also, as I argued on other lists before I see a lot of overlap between

* network management when also used to retrieve the actual data of the
application (+ the management of the software)

* CoAP

(when a software update mechanism has to be implemented anyway).

If we ever want any interoperability then the approach of letting
thousand flowers bloom isn't going to work very well.

Sometimes saying "no" to some protocols is a good thing. (Btw, I am also
included to say no to all the IPsec/IKEv2 efforts for constrained devices.)

Ciao
Hannes