Re: [conex] Crediting [was: Re: Review of draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-06]

David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Mon, 15 July 2013 14:57 UTC

From: David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:57:02 +0200
Cc: conex@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [conex] Crediting [was: Re: Review of draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-06]

Hi Bob,

On Monday 15 July 2013 13:32:25 Bob Briscoe wrote:
> David,
>
> I ought to read your credit draft first, but I'll just quickly
> respond here (altho nothing much additional worth saying I'm afraid), ...
>
> At 18:44 10/06/2013, David Wagner wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I think there are some strong arguments for "aging" credits:
> >1) they avoid problems with restarted audits / rerouting: if credits
> >are valid for e.g. 1 hour, any newly started auditer should not
> >indicate reliable information for that time.
> >This can be extended to running auditers seeing new (rerouted?) IP
> >addresses, but of course there is a trade-off for coverage.
>
> This doesn't really "avoid problems". It just means the auditor knows
> it has a problem for a certain period.
Well, that might be enough anyway. If the auditor knows it shouldn't penalize flows for a certain destination network for the time x, auditing could still cover most of the traffic and thus still be effective.

> >2) the value for credit is likely to degrade over time for the
> >sender, typically already sent credits will count less than credits
> >to be sent now.
>
> That's not an argument for time-degrading credit, you're just saying
> it's likely. It is likely if there's an argument for it, and it's not
> likely if there isn't.
Agreed. But there are other & stronger arguments in favor of time-degrading / expiring credits.

> >This applies for rate-based credit / ConEx allowance mechanisms
> >since, if using non-vanishing credits, the starting phase is much
> >more costly than maintaining a flow. In other words: non-vanishing
> >credit is an incentive to keep connections open. Do we want that?
>
> We want the amount of credit to reflect the risk of cost to others.
> (See my point in the email to Mirja about the perverse incentives
> that would arise if you knew you would get your insurance premiums
> back if you hadn't made a claim by the end of the year. Then it would
> no longer be insurance, it would be an accident damage pre-payment
> account.) But we also have the dilemma I outlined in the mail to Mirja.
>

> >Anyway, I don't yet have a good credit concept.
>
> Yes, this is a problem.
I think this is a fundamental one since it questions the credibility of ConEx info and thus the incentive to deploy it.

> >Which also needs to address handling loss of ConEx-marked packets,
> >at the sender and at the audit.
>
> I don't think of that as a problem. I may not have covered it at the
> IETF, but I think I did in my PhD thesis.
oops, I didn't check that.
I wrote some sentences on it in the discussion draft, mainly coming to the conclusion that an auditor could estimate average loss of connection, thus providing an upper bound for loss of Conex-marked packets.

Anyway, I'd really like to discuss ConEx crediting further.

David