Re: [conex] Review: draft-ietf-conex-destopt-06

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com> Wed, 13 August 2014 19:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:13:07 +0100
To: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: Carlos Ucendo <ralli@tid.es>, ConEx IETF list <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] Review: draft-ietf-conex-destopt-06

Mirja,

At 10:19 13/08/2014, Mirja Kühlewind wrote:
>Hi Bob,
>
>one more question: you added one paragraph on
>multicast. I would propose to even say
>
>"A ConEx sender MUST NOT send a packet with the CDO to a multicast address."
>
>instead of
>
>"A ConEx sender MUST NOT send a packet with X = 1 (ConEx-capable)
>to a multicast address, and it SHOULD NOT even
>include the CDO in such a packet."
>
>as you proposed. Or is there a reason to have a SHOULD?

The only reason I had was that there might in
future be other things in a CDO (in the field
that is currently Reserved) that are applicabile
to multicast. If any security device vendors read
every IETF spec, I thought it would be best not
to cause them to programme their kit to drop
multicast packets if they carry CDO, which would constrain evolvability.

I guess, if it is a SHOULD, it ought give an
example of where the SHOULD does not apply, and
my example is a bit subtle to have to explain. Up to you.

Bob

> [...]
>>we ought to spin into a separate thread if you want to discuss/argue.
>>
>>Most of the other additions are because conex-abstract-mech says a
>>concrete protocol spec has to address specific aspects, which weren't
>>addressed.
>>
>>==Intro==
>>* Added scoping in Intro (solely wire protocol; specific transport
>>protocol specs will determine when specifically to set each marking,
>>e.g. conex-tcp-modifications)
>>
>>* Standards Track -> Experimental
>>* Added subsection of intro on experiment goals: criteria for success
>>and duration
>>
>>==Requirements==
>>
>>* Referred to abstract-mech for requirements, explained that it would be
>>hard to satisfy them all, and explained which one wasn't satisfied
>>(visibility in outer), referring to section on fast-path performance.
>>
>>==CDO==
>>
>>* For any text about ignoring invalid fields, explicitly said that
>>intermediate nodes MUST NOT normalise. Also, specified to treat packets
>>with invalid fields like a non-ConEx-capable packet.
>>
>>* Specified precisely which IP header is included in the byte count.
>>
>>* Suggested deleting example of Not-ConEx-capable packets (see separate
>>thread to conex-tcp-modifications authors about TCP pure ACKs).
>>
>>==Fast-path==
>>
>>* CDO as first destination option: changed from MUST to SHOULD (with an
>>example of when not to).
>>
>>==Config & Management==
>>
>>* Added section, mainly to say there is no config & mgmt (required by
>>abstract-mech).
>>
>>==IPsec compatibility==
>>
>>* Suggested ConEx counts the AH header, and the outer tunnel mode
>>header, with reasoning.
>>
>>* Suggested the section is restructured because I believe the visibility
>>problem is not related to tunnel mode, but only to ESP in tunnel mode.
>>
>>* Added a para about the possibility of implementing a ConEx proxy
>>(without breaking e2e authentication).
>>
>>==Tunnelling==
>>
>>* Section added, to generalise from just IPsec to any IP-in-IP
>>tunnelling (particularly relevant to mobile scenarios).
>>
>>* Suggested optional copying of CDO to outer, but also a simpler 'Do not
>>copy CDO' alternative.
>>
>>==Security Considerations==
>>
>>* Added lots, all pointers to where security issues are discussed in
>>other places (which is what security directorate reviewers need).
>>
>>==IANA==
>>
>>* I think the act bits need to be 00 not 10 to avoid ConEx packets being
>>dropped by non-ConEx nodes (including by non-ConEx receivers)? But I'm
>>willing to be corrected.
>>

>>Regards
>>

>>Bob

>--
>Dipl.-Ing. Mirja Kühlewind
>Communication Systems Group
>Institute TIK, ETH Zürich
>Gloriastrasse 35, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland

Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT