Re: [conex] ConEx credit & audit: status update

David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Fri, 18 October 2013 16:12 UTC

From: David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: Matt Mathis <mattmathis@google.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:12:06 +0200
Cc: ConEx IETF list <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] ConEx credit & audit: status update

Hi Matt,

it only regards the text on credit. Right now, sec 5.5.1. says
"However, the audit function cannot be expected to wait for a round trip to check that one signal balances the other, because that requires excessive state and the auditor cannot easily determine the RTT of each flow. ... The transport signals sufficient credit in advance to cover congestion expected during its feedback delay. Then, the audit function does not need to make allowance for round trip delays that it cannot quantify. "

We found that credit does not help us from comparing current ConEx signals with ealier observed congestion signals (loss/ECE) at (now - RTT_max), maybe see my Berlin slides, slide 10.
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-conex-2.pdf
But we deem there is still a benefit in having a separate signal for yet-to-come congestion or congestion risk, e.g. allowing to police on the aggressiveness of slow starting flows.

Therefore, I think this section needs a revision, concerning the motivation for the credit signal.

David