Re: [conex] [Iccrg] Re: ECN marking over wireless networks

<sebastien.jobert@orange.com> Wed, 18 July 2012 10:07 UTC

From: sebastien.jobert@orange.com
To: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>, Jim Gettys <jg@freedesktop.org>, Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>, Mirja Kuehlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>, "conex@ietf.org" <conex@ietf.org>, "iccrg@cs.ucl.ac.uk" <iccrg@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:08:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.1]
Subject: Re: [conex] [Iccrg] Re: ECN marking over wireless networks

Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedbacks on this item, and sorry for the very long delay to reply.
I won't be in Vancouver unfortunately to discuss this with you, but will consider attending the next meetings.

Please find below some additional thoughts about this thread.

1) Fairness

You suggest Michael to take into account the application requirements in addition to a more basic sharing of the resources. Taking a local decision has also been suggested (I assume that "local" means here: "by the Access Point", which is normally what is done for ECN marking - the decision is always local). It should be noted that taking into account the application requirements would then imply that the Access Point has the knowledge about which types of applications are running over all the terminals... which might be quite difficult in practice, and possibly not desirable in some cases.

The question that is raised here, I believe, is to understand how ECN marking over the radio segment can help (if it helps...) when combined with existing/already implemented radio resources sharing algorithm (e.g. PF). And how this signal might interact with other mechanisms (TCP, incentives, ...) to improve the situation in case of radio congestion compared to the case where ECN marking is not used. At the end, I agree that it might not be the most optimal solution (but I'll tend to think that wireless systems always require some kind of compromise - you might optimize one particular parameter at the expense of another).

I also agree with Jim that fairness should refer to "transmission opportunities" in this type of wireless systems rather than bandwidth. Thanks also Jim for the details on the Linux drivers, this is quite useful (it seems then that in these implementations, a mix between the two models that I briefly depicted is considered). What you mentioned about bugs on different drivers makes me think that some sort of documentation about expected behavior for ECN marking would be useful. Thanks also for the information about CoDel AQM (that I did not know before) to be considered instead of RED. We'll investigate this.

2) Heterogeneity

Of course, radio systems and drivers may have different behaviors. However, there are some common aspects to all these systems, e.g. the radio transmission channel has some common properties. I assume that a generic model (or a few generic models) might be developed (Proportional Fair is for instance a quite common algorithm).

Note that this heterogeneity problem is quite common in practice, and applies also to other technologies (the various behaviors of forwarding engines of IP routers is a very good example), but it fortunately did not preclude developing in the past generic models for the purpose of progressing a common understanding of certain mechanisms.

I still really can see benefits in trying to document such ECN marking algorithms over wireless networks, even if in practice, a real implementation might differ from those general descriptions. One reason justifying this: ECN marking over wireless network is mentioned in different documents (e.g. 3GPP TS 36.300, 26.114, draft "Mobile Communication Congestion Exposure Scenario" in Conex WG, ...), how would you use it in practice if you have no idea about what is done by the equipment?

That being said, I fully agree that no general recommendation can be done at this stage, but I would also really encourage people to work on this so that some sort of general recommendations could be developed in the future. I also agree that Conex approach might help on the fairness item, with some adaptations.

Cheers,

Sébastien