Re: [conex] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications-09: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 09 October 2015 09:44 UTC

To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:43:55 +0200
Cc: draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications.ad@ietf.org, draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications@ietf.org, conex-chairs@ietf.org, conex@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [conex] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications-09: (with COMMENT)

Hi Stephan,

quick reply to you comment below. The two points below are discussed in
draft-ietf-conex-destopt as ConEx is signaled in the IP layer and the attacks
would (from my point of view) only interfere with the signaling (and not any
additional algorithms that are used in TCP to decide when to set a marking).

draft-ietf-conex-destopt even has an own section on "Mitigating flooding
attacks by using preferential drop". I guess that's what you've been looking
for, right?

Further, draft-ietf-conex-destopt says in the security section that IPsec AH
can be used to detect changes to ConEx information. Actually it does not say
what to do if such changes are detected. I'll check with my co-authors if we
can add some more information here.

Regarding draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications, I've added two sentences at the
beginning of the security section to say that these issues are discussed in
draft-ietf-conex-destopt. Is that okay for you?

Mirja