Re: [conex] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-conex-destopt-09: (with COMMENT)

Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net> Thu, 01 October 2015 22:06 UTC

To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:06:32 +0100
Cc: "draft-ietf-conex-destopt.ad@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-conex-destopt.ad@ietf.org>, "conex-chairs@ietf.org" <conex-chairs@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "conex@ietf.org" <conex@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-conex-destopt@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-conex-destopt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-conex-destopt-09: (with COMMENT)

Stephen, Suresh,

As the person that contributed some of the text for this IPsec section,
I can see what's happened during the evolution of the doc...

In section 4 it says

CDO MUST be placed as the first option in the destination option
header before the AH and/or ESP (if present).  IPsec Authentication
Header (AH) MAY be used to verify that the CDO has not been modified.

We started out writing Section 7 "Compatibility with use of IPsec" to
answering the question:
"What if IPsec is being used; how do we ensure ConEx is still visible?"
The answer was the above rule about placing CDO before AH and/or ESP.

In the process, we showed how endpoints that were already authenticating
their IP headers with IPsec would automatically get coverage for the
ConEx header. By some perverse document evolution process, this has become:

[Old]

If the transport network cannot be trusted, IPsec Authentication
should be used to ensure integrity of the ConEx information.

So I suggest the following change:

[Proposed]

If the endpoints are using the IPsec Authentication Header (AH) [RFC4302] to detect alteration of
IP headers along the path, AH will also ensure the e2e integrity of the CDO header.

Actually, both parts of the subsequent sentence are wrong as well:

[Old]

If an attacker would be able to remove the ConEx marks, this could cause an
audit device to penalize the respective connection, while the sender
cannot easily detect that ConEx information is missing.

a) Removing ConEx marks would make audit ignore those packets, not drop
them.
b) And It's not hard to design a protocol for the sender to detect
tampering with ConEx information.

So I suggest instead:

[Proposed]
A network-based attacker could alter ConEx information to fool an audit
function in a downstream network into discarding packets. An attack on
one network from another by changing an immutable field can be traced,
so it would be unlikely givennetwork operators care about their
reputation.Nonetheless, if ConEx information was being altered within a
network, IPsec AH or other more stealthy e2e integrity checks could be
useful tools to help pin-point the attack location.

No need to say this, but a similar attack is already possible: decrement
TTL in one network to cause another network to drop packets. This is
less easy to trace too, because it uses a mutable field.

BTW, I designed the precursor to ConEx (re-ECN) to make it possible for
networks to identify other rogue networks mounting such attacks, without
needing e2e authentication. But all the inter-network security only
works with ECN, not drop. When we decided to use ConEx to expose drop as
well as ECN, I couldn't make the drop-based aspects support these nice
security properties. That is admitted in conex-abstract-mech. But the
ECN side of ConEx still supports all the inter-domain security. None of
the inter-domain security techniques are written in the ConEx drafts,
but they're in my PhD thesis, and referenced from conex-abstract-mech
Security Considerations.

Bob