[conex] Review of draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-06

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Tue, 04 June 2013 16:27 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: conex@ietf.org, Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>, Matt Mathis <mattmathis@google.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:12:25 +0200
Subject: [conex] Review of draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-06

Hi,

sorry for the very late review. The draft reads actually very well. I only
have some high level comments:

1) The very long title of Figure 1 was kind of confusing me.

2) Section 'Overview' is very long (for an overview). Don't know if per-flow
state, byte vs. packet and partial deployment needs to be discussed here.
Maybe think about a subsection on discussion points instead (which could also
include some discussion on attacks against the audit). On the other hand
potentially introduce briefly the credit concept here.

3) Maybe define the term 'congestion signal' in section 2.1

4) I'm not sure that section 4.6 is at the right postion as it seems to me
more related to requirements on the encoding.

5) Maybe address briefly how to handle ConEx-not-Marked and not ConEx-capable
packets (not only for partial deployment but also in regular operation). They
need to be limited somehow as well, otherwise a sender can easily cheat by
sending ConEx-not-Marked. And this has to be done by the policer (and not the
audit though).

8) Section 5.5 doesn't give any advise how to handle encrypted TCP for loss
estimation.

9) Section 5.5.1 introdues the credit concept. Not sure if the meaning of
credits is well enough specified here. My personal option is that credits
should somehow get invalid (at some point in time). This is left open in the
current text.

10) In section 6 it is stated that 'Networks MUST NOT change ConEx marked
packets to not_ConEx. [...]'. Maybe move this to the requirement section,
otherwise it might be easily overread.

11) Security Considerations lists a number of attacks. Shouldn't this document
also give hints how to handle these attacks? Especially for the 'Dragging
Down a Spoofed Flow ID', I can't really come up with a good solution...?

Mirja