Re: [conex] An interesting video

David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Fri, 21 December 2012 12:00 UTC

From: David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: conex@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:00:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [conex] An interesting video

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, John Leslie wrote:
>
> >   ~ 1-euro tolls at congestion points reduced traffic 20% and totally
> > solved the congestion.
>
> 2 EUR per passing, and no, it didn't solve the congestion, it made it less
> (I guess it would have been a worse talk if he actually would have
> presented real figures).
>
> What he also doesn't talk about is that after that 20% decrease in
> traffic, traffic still increased yearly at the same rate so now we have
> multi-hour congestion again (basically they bought 5-8 years to implement
> a real solution, and then did nothing).

I regard the expectation of such incentive-attenuating effects being an important issue for ConEx, too. Such concerns might even hinder a deployment of ConEx.
So one of our goals should be to show that the application of ConEx can maintain comparability between network services and thus competition and incentives to continously extend & grow.

Of course, ConEx may be a tool to motivate people to distribute their load smoother which will result in lesser pressure on networks and shifted upgrades. At first. In that way I expect a somehow similar effect as of Stockholm's traffic fee. But after this phase, incentives to satisfy growing client demands should reconstitute themselves.

David

--
Dipl.-Inf. David Wagner
Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering (IKR)

web: www.ikr.uni-stuttgart.de   email: david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de
phone: +49 711 685-67965        fax: +49 711 685-57965