Re: [conex] An interesting video

Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu> Wed, 19 December 2012 18:03 UTC

From: Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu>
To: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>, Matt Mathis <mattmathis@google.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:01:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.2.204]
Cc: ConEx IETF list <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] An interesting video

Hi,

The video is alright, but the analogy is a bit limited, in my view.

Car traffic jams are mostly cases of pathological congestion, i.e., congestion makes the systems (close to) unusable. In the Internet, we have transport protocols to prevent this.

What transport protocols today do not enable without network infrastructure support is capacity sharing that ensures good performance for different application types and users in the presence of full network utilization. For example, keeping latency low for my short-lived AJAX interaction although it has to share bottlenecks with other users's bulk data transfers.

In a street network, you want the trucks to yield for the much faster ambulance, so that the ambulance passengers get acceptable quality of experience and so that the truck drivers can still use all lanes under normal conditions. (I am bad at analogies. ;-)

A complete metering and charging infrastructure is indeed non-trivial and expensive to operate.  ConEx is essentially intended as not too complex (i.e., cost-efficient) network infrastructure support to incentivize such sharing. And that does not imply a general toll collect for all traffic as in the video.

Best regards,
Dirk