Re: [core-parameters] Core content-format number allocation

Klaus Hartke <hartke@projectcool.de> Fri, 25 May 2018 07:48 UTC

From: Klaus Hartke <hartke@projectcool.de>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 09:48:35 +0200
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org
Cc: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, core-parameters@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ace-coap-est@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core-parameters] Core content-format number allocation

Hi Peter,

I see you’re requesting Content-Format IDs for the following existing media
types:

- application/pkcs7-mime
- application/pkcs8
- application/csrattrs
- application/pkcs10

A Content-Format is the combination of a media type and a content coding.
Please specify the content coding(s) you want to use with each media type.
The possible set of content codings can be found at
https://www.iana.org/assignments/http-parameters/http-parameters.xhtml#content-coding

Please format your request as a table that looks like Table 9 in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7252#section-12.3 (one row for each
combination of a media type and a content coding)

It seems “application/pkcs7-mime“ actually does define a media type
parameter, “smime-type ”. RFC 5751 says:

   Because there are several types of application/pkcs7-mime objects, a
   sending agent SHOULD do as much as possible to help a receiving agent
   know about the contents of the object without forcing the receiving
   agent to decode the ASN.1 for the object.  The Content-Type header
   field of all application/pkcs7-mime objects SHOULD include the
   optional "smime-type" parameter, as described in the following
   sections.

So it seems the parameter is more or less required. Do you want to register
a Content-Format ID for each defined smime-type value? Then the list of
media types (that need to be paired with a content coding) looks like this:

- application/pkcs7-mime; smime-type=“enveloped-data”
- application/pkcs7-mime; smime-type=“signed-data”
- application/pkcs7-mime; smime-type=“certs-only”
- application/pkcs7-mime; smime-type=“compressed-data”
- application/pkcs8
- application/csrattrs
- application/pkcs10

Klaus