Re: [core] CoRE Tools

Stuart Longland <stuartl@vrt.com.au> Thu, 19 July 2018 11:37 UTC

To: core@ietf.org
From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@vrt.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:37:27 +1000
Subject: Re: [core] CoRE Tools

On 19/07/18 10:02, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> Are there any other user friendly / cross platform tools that speak CoAP and or any of the other CoRE technologies?
> You can install an old version of Firefox just for Copper.
> There is also a port for Chrome, but that is not quite as friendly as the Firefox Copper was/is.

I too was a bit miffed when I updated Firefox and lost Copper… actually
the latest update has had me wondering why I don't switch to Chromium.
(Guess old habits die hard… I was a Netscape user for a long time.)

But, no use lamenting over that.  Two downsides with Copper though:

1. it didn't do scoped addresses (e.g. ff02::1%wpan0; fe80::c0:fffe:1%eth0)
2. to my knowledge it didn't support encodings such as CBOR.

The latter point made it difficult to work with the CoMI implementation
I've been working on (although to be truthful, it's probably only a
partial CoMI implementation, and likely lots of things I got wrong).

I'd cook something up in Python, but haven't run across a CoAP library
I'm happy with yet.  (Tried coapthon and txthings, coapthon didn't work
well at all, and txthings has problems with IPv6 multicast.)

There's NodeJS libraries that work well for CoAP/CBOR, not sure if these
would work with Electron or other NodeJS/Webkit UI toolkits.  Then
again, having something that runs as a daemon and you hit with a web
browser could work well for certain things (lots of Raspberry Pi-based
6LoWPAN gateways out there, e.g. OpenThread Border Router).

Postman has some good ideas regarding HTTP that'd be worth "borrowing"
which could help in debugging other protocols like block transfers, CoMI
and others.

I haven't heard of alternatives to Copper, it was by far the best UI
I've seen for dealing with CoAP.  If people know of others, I'm all
ears, otherwise though, maybe it's time to roll the sleeves up and DIY.

Regards,
--
     _ ___             Stuart Longland - Systems Engineer
\  /|_) |                           T: +61 7 3535 9619