Re: [core] Review draft-tiloca-core-oscore-discovery-04

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Wed, 20 November 2019 20:19 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: "'Christian M. Amsüss'" <christian@amsuess.com>, core@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 04:19:05 +0800
Subject: Re: [core] Review draft-tiloca-core-oscore-discovery-04

-----Original Message-----
From: core <core-bounces@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Christian M. Amsüss
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:08 PM
To: core@ietf.org

Hello Jim,

> Need to go here as well.
This too.

just picking the points I feel I have something to say about:

> * Should this document be re-written to only use CoRAL-reef?

I don't think so in general for time line reasons. (There's no concrete
pressure on this as far as I know of, but CoRAL still has no forseeable
timeline).

[JLS] It is not clear to me that there is a timeline for this document as
well.

What I could see us do is having both in examples, and possibly even accept
that some features are not as optimized or usable in link-format but can be
in CoRAL. (The link from the join resource to the authorization server, on
which there was the comment today from proxy-Klaus, comes to mind.)

[JLS] That would be helpful

> * Section 5 - I don't care if you specify the same application group
> multiple times.   I don't want to have to figure out how to check this one
> thing and error.  Plus the end result will always be the same anyway

Considering the paragraph below that, the app-gp paragraph can be vastly
simplified anyway, and I think we already have an item about making this
less normative. (The link's content is normative; how it's looked up in an
RD is just a description of the combined steps).

> * Section 5.1 - I think the anchor in the response is supposed to be
absent.

The anchor needs to be there because it's an RD lookup result, and the RD
needs to fill in the anchor because it could be relevant for interpreting
the implied "hosts" relation or any non-target link attributes (which I
usually claim should not be registered, but that's what we arrived at RD for
6690 compatibility).

[JLS] Rats - I guess I need to go back and read the RD draft again.  The
last thing that I remember was that everything came back as fully resolved
and thus anchor did not mean anything.

Jim

Thanks for your input

To use raw power is to make yourself infinitely vulnerable to greater
powers.
  -- Bene Gesserit axiom